A Tribute to the Great Airplanes of WWII, the Cold War and Modern Times
This website is a tribute to the great military planes and commercial airplanes, and to the people who design, build, fly, and service these aircraft.
We provide first-hand commentary, specifications, history and original photographs of great World War II planes such as the B-24 Liberator and the B-17 Flying Fortress, and modern-era military aircraft such as the SR-71 Blackbird as well.
Be sure to read our special sections on U.S. Presidential Aircraft and Air Force One and Aerial Tankers.
We also cover planes of the present, and future, like the C-5 Galaxy, Airbus A400M and the Eurofighter EF2000 Typhoon.
From the Enola Gay to the B-36 Peacemaker to the F-35 Lightning, and the great warbirds and civil aviation airliners in between ... we remember.
Enjoy your flight today!
We'll be adding new features to the website in 2023, including additional stories, reviews and original photographs.
Some recent additions and updates:
- F-22 Raptor
- Airworthy B-36 Peacemaker
- Aerial Demonstration Teams
- USAF Tail Codes
- P-8 Poseidon
- Eurofighter EF2000 Typhoon
- Douglas DC-3
- Air Force One and VIP Military Aircraft
- U.S. Air Force Buzz Numbers
- Antonov An-124 and An-225
- Airplanes Online Videos
Continued Evolution of This Aviation Website Series
We launched Planes of the Past in 2012, which over time grew into a large site covering a variety of aviation-related topics. In 2015, we split the website into more focused topics based on our viewers' interests. Now we offer the following websites:
- Airplanes-Online - World War II, the Cold War and modern day airplanes (this site)
- AirplaneBoneyards.com - Military and airliner boneyards in the U.S., Europe & Australia
- AirlinerSpotter.com - Airliner spotting tips, Airbus and Boeing fleets with characteristics, comparisons and photographs