The Tillamook Air Museum is located just south of Tillamook, Oregon on U.S. Highway 101 in a historic blimp hangar (see map below).
Constructed by the US Navy in 1942 during World War II as Naval Air Station Tillamook, the hangar building housing the aircraft collection is 1,072 feet long and 296 feet wide, giving it over 6 acres of covered area. It was constructed of wood due to rationing during the War, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.
The Naval Air Station was the base of operations in World War II for Squadron ZP-33, with a complement of 8 K-ships.
Dirigible Hangar "B" stands at 192 feet. amd each sliding door weighs 30 tons each. It holds the record for the largest wooden structure on earth.
The hangar is one of two that were built on the site originally; Hangar "A" was located nearly, but was destroyed by fire in 1992.
The facility houses over 30 restored warbirds including a P-38 Lightning, F-4U Corsair, P-51 Mustang, PBY Catalina, F-14 Tomcat, C-97 Guppy, and other historic aircraft. It also features an exhibit hall with a large collection of rare historical wartime and aviation artifacts.
The Tillamook Air Museum is excited to announce the most recent addition to its growing collection of aircraft and exhibits, the cockpit of a F-4 Phantom fighter jet, used in the 2016 film, "Sully!" This jet cockpit that is being brought to the Tillamook Air Museum was used extensively to film actor Tom Hanks in his role as Captain Chesley “Sully” Sullenberger, the pilot (and hero) who safely landed the plane he was piloting on the Hudson River in New York. The cockpit is owned by Doug Scroggins of Scroggins Aviation Mockup & Effects and will be on loan to the Tillamook Air Museum.
On April 3, 2013, Erickson Aero Tanker, owner of the collection of vintage planes displayed in the hangar, announced in a press release that it would not renew its lease to operate the Tillamook Air Museum, but instead planned to move to a new facility in Madras, Oregon. The historic blimp hangar structure is in need of millions of dollars in repairs. Read the news article about the move and the fate of the hangar building.
UPDATE: Some of the Erickson aircraft previously on display at Tillamook when we last visited in May of 2013 have now been moved to the Erickson Aircraft Collection, 2408 NW Berg Drive, Madras, OR, 97741
We highly recommend a visit for aviation enthusiasts, and anyone with an interest in vintage planes.
The airplane gallery is open daily 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. The Air Base Cafe is housed in the building, along with a gift shop.
Parking is free, and a small admission fee is charged. For more information, phone 503.842.1130 or visit the official website of the Tillamook Air Museum.
See map below for location and driving directions.
View of the Tillamook Air Museum as seen from US Highway 101 in May, 2013
United States Naval Air Station Tillamook ... 1942 to 1948
View of the Tillamook blimp hangar during World War II
Sign at the beginning of the tour area
Boeing 377 Stratocruiser "Mini-Guppy", on display outdoors
Douglas C-47B Skytrain "City of Garibaldi"
U.S. Navy Lockheed P2V-7 Neptune, BuNo 148360
A-7 Corsair II 401
U.S. Navy F-14A Tomcat
Vought F4U-7 Corsair
Grumman J2F-6 Duck
Aviat Aircraft Husky A-1B
|Recent News Articles Related to the Tillamook Air Museum
|Convair 880 Heading to the Tillamook Air Museum
AVweb - 08/24/2018
The map below shows the location of the airplane displays in Tillamook. It is physically located at 6030 Hangar Road, Tillamook, OR 97141. Phone 503.842.1130 for detailed information, or visit the official website of the Tillamook Air Museum.